FIRST teams cannot succeed without the support of mentors. The Black Knights are always looking for community members who are willing to mentor.
Being a successful FIRST team is about more that just building a robot; we want our team members to gain all the skills necessary to become exceptional STEM professionals. If you have experience with any of the following topics, your knowledge is valuable to the team and we want you to share it with us:
- Professional Presentations and Reports
- Project Planning
- Financial Management
- All Engineering Disciplines
- Manufacturing / Machining
- Computer Programming
How to Join?
We encourage anyone who is interested in mentoring to drop in on any of the team’s meetings at the Solid State Depot. Team meetings at Fairview High School require prior coordination with a team mentor. You can find our team meeting schedule here on our website, or on the Solid State Depot’s Meetup Page. The typically meets once a week May – Dec, and 4 times a week during the FRC season Jan – Mar.
If you can’t make it to one of our meetings and are interested in joining, contact the team via e-mail.
All mentors need to complete the following steps:
- Join the team’s Slack organization where we coordinate intra-team communication. Give your e-mail address to any team mentor and they can send you and invite to the Slack organization.
- Complete Solid State Depot’s Liability Release. This can be e-mailed to the team or turned by hard-copy at any meeting.
- Register with FIRST and complete FIRST’s Youth Protection Screening Process.
There is no cost to joining the team, and registered mentors have the option to get 24/7 access to the Solid State Depot.
FIRST has information and training available here to help get new mentors up to speed.